Wednesday, September 8, 2010

#7: Lecture 7, due September 9th

Difficult: Well I am hoping this lesson is not too difficult for me because I somewhat remember the scalar addition and multiplication and the properties from Linear Algebra. The tables for Z5 and Z6 I find confusing however. I should be able to figure them out I think because I do recall some of this stuff, but I'm not following where the 0s come into play for addition. I see the pattern in the table but that's obviously not the only way to come up with the numbers. I might get confused when proving theorem 2.2.3 (the properties) but hopefully I can get it down.

Reflective: I don't feel as confused after reading this lecture as I did the last one! I like the modular arithmetic in the beginning of the lecture because that makes sense to me. I can clearly see how a number in one set added to a number in another set equals a number in another set.And it makes sense why the addition would need to be well-defined. I like seeing things this way. Because when it comes to proofs I get lost.

Answers to additional questions:
1. I spend probably about 30 minutes- 1 hour on the homework. The lecture prepared me for them mostly yes. The homework is getting harder though so I'm starting to struggle though and take longer. You should expect a visit from me in the next week.
2. I hate proofs. And that's what this class is. I am super worried. I follow them when you do them, but most I don't know how to formulate and think of the way to do them on my own. I also dislike that everyone has had analysis so I feel like they're at an advantage. Examples contribute most to my learning.
3. I think the class is great, minus the material. That's something you can't change though so I just have to try my best to understand it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment